Monday, August 27, 2012

How to Paint Checker Pattern Designs Freehand


Good afternoon everyone! 
 
 
Today I am going to show you how I personally do freehand checker designs.  I get a lot of compliments on my technique and a lot of people just assume it's too hard or they can't do it.  It's really not!  It just takes patience and a semi steady hand.  And remember practice makes perfect. 
  • Step one- basecoat the area you want to be checkered.  In this case I chose a white background on a Nob Power Klaw.
 
 
 
  • Step two- draw a grid pattern on the area before you fill any squares out.  This will be your outline on where you should fill in the squares.  Don't worry if the line is too thick at first.  Just thin the paint slightly and continue with the line.  Where the paint is thick you can just fill that part in with black or whatever color the checkers will be. 
     

 
  • Step three- fill in the lines.  Patience and a steady hand here will help out greatly.  Don't stress if you go out of the lines.  You will most likely have to go back and clean up some of it anyway.  Just reapply the base color if you go over any square and make it all look dress right dress.
     

 
 
  • Step four- clean up.  Clean up any mistakes you had where any squares were too big or too small.  It's not required but it's definitely more pleasing to the eye if you do so.   
     



And there you have it!  I hope this helps anyone who loves to show off their free hand work or who is aspiring to get better at it.  I will be going over dags and flames next time around so stay tuned.  Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Just saw you over at Faeit 212. Nice blog, and good looking Orks. I look forward to following your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really appreciate the compliments. I am working hard to make a good blog that will be updates frequently and it's nice to see my hard work is paying off. You made my day!

      Delete